The World Ocean Day is just around the corner, where people everywhere around the world celebrates and honor the ocean!
Change perspective – encourage individuals to think about what the ocean means to them and what it has to offer all of us with hopes of conserving it for present and the future generations!
Not many think of the global situation concerning our oceans. When you look at the land, you see things that are alive. You might see birds, bugs, animals and people. When you look at the ocean, it does not look alive. You see calm water on the top. You might see some seaweed floating in the water. But, the ocean does not look like it has anything alive in it. They might look empty, but oceans are full of life. As a matter of fact, the ocean holds over 99 percent of the living space on Earth.
But due to many reasons such as, the garbage trash islands, overfishing, the shark fin industry etc.. our oceans are in big trouble!
During this day, I would love to see more people, more of my friends and their friends to get involved in this day. Spread the word and do something to raise awareness about our ocean. Maybe find an event or activity to attend that help protect the ocean for the future! It’s up to each one of us to help ensure that our ocean is healthy for future generations!
Here are 6 things you can do to reach out to your friends on the World Ocean Day:
1.Use social media to share your ocean pride! Share World Oceans Day with your friends and family however feels right for you. If you use social media, try writing a post about something that you care about: For exampel make a facebook statement about the plastic trash and the importance about reducing the plastic trash in our oceans.
An estimated 80% of the plastic trash in the ocean comes from people on land – carried out to the ocean by rivers, streams, and the wind
Watch this klipp on garbage islands that are 2 TIMES BIGGER THAN TEXAS!
Why do we need to care?
Plastics floating in the ocean are “sponges” for concentrated toxins and it chokes and kills thousands of animals like sea turtles, whales, and sea birds – (cuz, animals thinks its food)
- You can make an Ocean Promise in a Selfie for the Sea
Take photos and selfies of yourself doing something for the ocean or making a promise to do something that benefits our oceans and share it on social media.
- Watch a movie or documentary
For those who doesnt really know the seriousness of this problem watch a movie and learn more, and spread the word by watching it someone else.
- Wear blue, tell two On ocean day Just wear a blue shirt or other noticeable article of clothing and ask people if they know why! Share two facts about the ocean, or two ways that they can help protect it and its wildlife. Then – ask them to pass it on.
- Host a dinner party? Invite friends and family over for a dinner party featuring locally, sustainably caught or farmed seafood and other (ideally) local foods.
(if you want some tips to some great recipies, let me know and I would gladlys share)
- Clean up your favorite spot. There are many organisations that do regualry clean ups. Join them or go visit your favorite beach, river, lake, grab a few friends or family memebers make a picnic and bring some bags for trash.
Some may wonder: Why Should I Celebrate The World Oceans Day?
Well, here are some examples why;
- Generates most of the oxygen we breathe
- Helps to feed us
- Regulates our climate
- Cleans the water we drink
- Offers a pharmacopoeia of potential medicines
- Provides limitless inspiration