Facts about the ocean;
- 8 billion kg of plastic in the ocean every year.
- Year 2050 it will be more plastic than fish in the ocean.
- 70% of our planet is ocean.
- 70% of our oxygen is produced by the oceans.
- 1.000.000 seabirds die annually of plastic in the ocean.
- 21 million barrels of oil ends up in the ocean annually (factories, cars, cleaning of tanks…).
- 600,000 barrels of oil ends up in the ocean annually due to accidents.
- 60% of the world’s coral reefs are seriously threatened and chances are that everything is gone within 30 years.
- 3.5 billion people subsist on the ocean today, and in 20 years it may be 7 billion.
- 90% reduction of large fish such as swordfish, tuna, etc. during the past 10 years
- 100 million sharks are killed each year mainly for shark fin soup.
In 2017, The Perfect World Foundation’s campaign “Save The Ocean” aims to stop the ongoing destruction of our oceans. There are numerous opportunities and events to attend with Save The Ocean!
One great, fun and free way to keep the oceans healty for generations to come is, taking part in an annual beach clean-up! Every year, hundreds of thousands of people remove millions of kgs of trash from beaches across the globe.The success of a local cleanups are determined by you!
The more hands we have helping, the more pollution we can prevent from entering our beautiful ocean and endangering marine wildlife. Whether an individual lives on the beach or hundreds of miles from the coastline, it is pertinent that we all realize the profound stake we have in an ocean that is healthy.
Here is som fotage from last weeks Beach Clean up on the westcoast of Sweden.
Now, if you ever have someone asking why beach cleanups are important, or why they should attend, you will have a few pointers to bring to the conversation about the issues we all face.
It’s even a little motivation to get down to the beach and lend a hand